Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hockey again??

So it appears that I missed out when I decided against going to the hockey game two weeks ago.So this weeks comments come from what was relayed to me by my husband. He thought it was pretty funny that this happens on a night I'm not there! A different family was in the seats behind us. Our team scores! Hurrah! Sieve! You Suck! Sieve! You Suck! the chant goes up, you know how I feel about this. The dad behind us stops his son. "We don't say that." "but everyone else is!" the child, about 10 years old replies. Dad looks at him, "just because other people are doing it, doesn't make it right." Thank you Dad!!!! It's so hard to fight things when it seems to be so acceptable to so many.

The game goes on. Late in the game there is a long play of our team fighting for the puck, the forwards are giving everything to keep the puck away, the defense is tying up their defense, and between them, they manage to force their way through enemy lines and working together they put the puck past the goalie. "Hurrah! Sieve! Sieve! Sieve!" Our friend Scott turns to my husband and says, you know what? I don't think I can chant Sieve any more. Because that completely negates any skill and work that the guys scoring just did, and they were brilliant, but chanting Sieve makes it seem that it wasn't anything that they did, it was just that their goalie is incompetent, and that's not what happened. Wow! a new viewpoint and I love it. I am thinking about this a lot. It has nothing to do with whether Sieve is a slur against the goalie, and everything to do with what part do you celebrate? the hard work and skill of the players that beat the goalie, or the mistake the goalie made? Which one do I think deserves the "reward" of crowd response?

Sadly hockey season is coming to an end. The WCHA Final Five (you know, the playoffs that now contain 6 teams?? and 6 games??) will be held next weekend. Neither one of us will be attending for the first time in about 10 years. Gino will be at GAMA and I'll be working the store. Hopefully we'll have some cool information from there to update the web site with. I'll need to find new inspiration for my blog! hmm, baseball is right around the corner, maybe we can start with Justin Morneau and Concussions?

2 comments:

  1. The sieve chant has always been my least favorite part of watching Husky Hockey. I never participate in it. I'm happy to hear someone else feels the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Final 5 is only 5 games. They did away with the 3rd place game so they can keep the name.

    ReplyDelete